We are certified Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission, a national designation granted to hospitals demonstrating consistent, excellent and advanced care of stroke victims.
Why are Stoke Centers important?
- More patients are treated with IV t-PA
- Strokes are prevented
- Patients have less disabilities
What do We Admit?
- We admit all TIA’s and Stroke patients. Otherwise, they must sign out AMA.
- We look at a 12-hour window for onset of symptoms-could be candidate for Interventional Neuro lab at Plaza Medical in Fort Worth if over 4.5, but less than 12 hours.
- Most non-traumatic neuro transfers go to Plaza Medical Center in Ft. Worth.
Stoke Care Procedures
- Once stroke symptoms are noted a Code Stroke is called and the telemedicine robot is pulled.
- We have a neurologist on staff.
- Fill out and sign a “Thrombolytic Assessment” on ALL stroke and TIA patients. This covers you as to why you did not administer tPA.
- All TIA stroke patients are to be admitted, transferred or sign out AMA.
- Use the stroke admit order set on all stroke and TIA patients; post tPA order set are to be used also.
- We have a weight stretcher to gain accurate weights for patients who may require tPA.
- Neuro telemedicine agreement with the Texas Stroke Institute for 24/7 coverage.
Our Campaign for Stroke Education
We are active in educating the staff and community on the signs an symptoms of stroke using the FAST acronym.