Keep Your Employees Healthy
About Occupational Health
The Fit-N-Wise Occupational Health Program at Wise Health System is designed to meet your needs as an employer by keeping you up-to-date on information about injury prevention, assessment and safe work practices and environments.
Our pre-employment and post-offer testing physically tests employees to see if they are capable of performing all the tasks necessary for a given job description, which helps avoid potential liability and low productivity. By matching workers’ strengths with their job tasks we can help you create a safer workplace.
Wise Health System Occupational Health uses the WorkSTEPS™ model. WorkSTEPS is a leading national provider of functional pre-employment and post-injury testing programs used by employers nationwide. The WorkSTEPS Functional Employment Test is the industry’s gold standard and has proven to reduce work-related injuries by an average of 50 percent in its first year of implementation.
When work injuries do occur, we’ll work to get your employee back on the road to recovery, through physical therapy and an assessment of capable duties.
Our Services Include:
- Pre-employment/post-offer testing
- Ergonomic assessments and interventions
- Drug screens (DOT & Non-DOT)
- Alcohol breath/Hair drug testing
- Fit for duty testing
- Hearing and vision screening
- Functional capacity evaluations
- Fit Mask Test/Pulmonary Function Test
- Injury prevention training
- Post accident drug screen and breath alcohol testing
The WorkSTEPS Model
The Occupational Health Program at Wise Health System follows the WorkSTEPS model. WorkSTEPS was developed in 1986 as a managed industrial health care network designed to meet state and federal regulatory and quality assurance guidelines. The program also aims to reduce workers’ compensation claims and provide a means for early return to work.
The WorkSTEPS program was develop by physical therapists in an industrial rehabilitation setting and relies on stringent scientific protocol. The program has been extremely effective in regard to medical/legal intervention.
WorkSTEPS is centered upon the evaluation and assessment of an employee’s capabilities in relation to the physical demands of the job he or she is required to perform. The program successfully:
- Identifies persons who have cardiovascular and/or cumulative trauma disorders
- Assists employers in appropriately matching current employees to safe/appropriate job positions
- Quantifies legitimate injuries and disqualifies non-legitimate injuries
- Expedites rehabilitation and return-to-work post injury
What Our Customers are Saying
“Total back injury costs went from $898,691 to $148,793 [when WorkSTEPS testing was implemented] in one year – a reduction of 80 percent, while the average cost per back injury was cut in half. At the same time, employee turnover was down 43% although total man-hours worked was approximately the same.”
Oil well servicing/transportation company
WorkSTEPS Tests and Services
The Occupational Health program at Wise Health System offers several WorkSTEPS tests and services, including:
Post-Offer Comprehensive Test
This is a 1.5 to 2 hour test. Medical questions and several medical tests are included to objectively quantify pre-existing conditions and cumulative traumas to determine their effect upon “significant and impending” risk as it relates to the position in question.
Post-Employment Fit For Duty
This is a 1.5 to 2 hour test administered to existing employees under several circumstances specifically addressed in the Technical Assistance Manual. Thetest may be administered on a voluntary basis, at specific intervals scheduled by the employer, or on an individual basis if the employee demonstrates “evidence of problems related to job performance or safety” (TAM V1-12). This test is used to classify employees according to risk and then implement prevention strategies to lower susceptibility to injury. Work conditioning, accommodations and other options are made available to the employer based upon results.
Carpal Tunnel Test
This test takes approximately 30 minutes to administer as part of either the Post-Offer/ Pre-Placement Comprehensive Test or the Post-Employment/Fit for Duty Test. It is used to determine capability as it relates to job function. It gives pass or fail for medical risk criteria.
Functional Capacity Evaluation
The FCE is a medical test to measure an employee’s function post-injury. The WorkSTEPS FCE is designed to follow the same pre-injury test protocols of the employment test to compare baseline data, document existing impairments, prove consistency and create realistic objective treatment goals and return to work recommendations. The WorkSTEPS FCE is also automated and includes criteria to evaluate symptom magnification, inappropriate illness behavior and validity of performance.
WorkSTEPS offers comprehensive pre-employment, interval and post-accident drug screening.
Screening tests include:
- Department of Transportation and Non-DOT testing
- Hair Drug Test
- Breath Alcohol Testing
Our focus is making drug screening as convenient as possible for you and your employees. We offer same day appointments, as well as after hours collection (at the outpatient lab on the Wise Health System East Campus).
Our hours are Monday through Thursday,7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. We close for lunch Monday through Thursday between 12 p.m. and 12:45 p.m.
For more information on our screening process, call 940-626-WORK.
Did You Know?
According to recent data, 67.9 percent of all adult illegal drug users are employed full or part time, as are most binge and heavy alcohol users. Studies show that when compared with non-substance users, substance using employees are more likely to:
- Change jobs frequently
- Be late to or absent from work
- Be less productive
- Be involved in a workplace accident and potentially harm others
- File a workers’ compensation claim
The Occupational Health Program at Wise Health System can help employers safeguard their employees’ respiratory health. Exposure to dangerous workplace respiratory hazards can cause a number of health complications including:
- Sudden Death/Asphyxiation
- Lost of lung functions
- Central Nervous System Disturbance
- Cardiovascular effects
Damage to the respiratory system does not always occur suddenly. Often, it will occur after being exposed over a period of time. Some diseases feel like you have the flu, with flu-like symptoms. Some of these diseases are Allergic Alveolitis, Metal fume fever and Polymer fume fever.
WorkSTEPS Respiratory Safety Program
- OSHA Respiratory Questionnaire: Will get a history of the clients’ respiratory health.
- Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT): Will help determine lung health
- Physician Clearance on OSHA Respiratory Questionnaire
- Respiratory Fit Mask Testing with OHD Quantifit (FMT)
- The Respiratory Fit Mask testing is completed with the OHD Quantifit. The OHD Fit Tester 3000 is a quantitative assessment to measure the amount of leakage between the candidate and the respirator to assure a proper fitting mask. The Quantifit can fit both full face and half face respiratory mask. After a successful fitting the candidate will receive a one-year certification card and instructions on care for their respiratory mask.
Did You Know?
An estimated 5 million workers are required to wear respirators in 1.3 million workplaces throughout the United States. Respirators protect workers against Insufficient oxygen environments, harmful dusts, fogs, smokes, mists, gases, vapors, sprays and fumes.
Audiometric Testing Program
Thousands of workers every year suffer from preventable hearing loss due to high workplace noise levels. Repeated exposure to loud noise can lead to:
- Permanent tinnitus and/or hearing loss
- Physical and Psychological stress
- Reduced productivity
- Interference with communication and concentration
- Increased workplace accidents and injuries
The Occupational Health program at Wise Health System offers a comprehensive Audiometric Testing Program, which can be used as part of a Hearing Conservation Program. The program includes:
- Audiometric testing (baseline, annual and follow-up), performed by a COHC certified technician.
- Otoscopic screen performed prior to each candidates hearing test
- OSHA compliant audiometers are calibrated daily.
- Test instructions and results are immediately available.
- Audiometric questionnaires are obtained from candidates before testing.
- All hearing tests are reviewed by a board-certified audiologist with over 40 years of experience to validate the test’s results.
- The audiologist reports will clearly identify Standard Threshold Shifts (STS), work-related recordable hearing losses, and which employees should be scheduled for a 30-day follow-up exam or a medical/audiology referral.
- Flexible scheduling Monday – Friday.
Please contact us for more information about Occupational Health services from Wise Health System
Wise Health System (West Campus)
2000 S. FM 51, Decatur, Texas 76234
Phone: (940) 627-WORK | (940) 627-9675
Fax: (940) 626-1786
Click below for a printable version the Occupational Health Program guide.