The Women and Children’s Services Department at Wise Health System is proud to offer lactation services.
Services include the following:
- Helping mothers develop skills and techniques for successful breastfeeding
- Providing expertise in the management of breastfeeding challenges
- Collaborating with other healthcare workers to meet the family’s needs
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Benefits of breastfeeding for the infant:
- Unique nutritional source that cannot adequately be replaced by any other food
- Increased resistance to disease and infections
- Decreased respiratory illnesses, ear infections and gastrointestinal illnesses
- Added protection against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Decreased allergies and eczema
- Decreased dental cavities
Benefits of breastfeeding for the mother:
- Burns extra calories, helping with pregnancy weight
- Releases the hormone oxytocin, which helps the uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size
- Reduces the mother’s risk of developing osteoporosis in later years
- Decreased risk of uterine, endometrial or ovarian cancer
- Promotes emotional health and decreases the risk of postpartum depression
- Provides bonding time with the baby
Our International Board Certified Lactation Consultant is available by appointment or by phone for any needs or questions related to breastfeeding, please call 940-626-1229.
We offer a support group named Wise Moms Breastfeeding Network. This support group is open to all moms who have breastfed, are breastfeeding, pregnant or providing expressed milk for their infant. This is a relaxed way for moms to meet and discuss problems or ideas and offer support.